Ah, Thanksgiving: the holiday where we pause and reflect on what we are truly grateful for.
Okay, that took about 30 seconds… now bring on the FOOD!
On a day where food plays such a prominent role, remember that even today, moderation can make a big difference. The easiest place to start is portion size:
- A serving of meat (such as turkey) is 3 ounces — about the size of a deck of cards.
- Go easy on the gravy.
- Enjoy a few bites of dessert (yes, dessert…. even naturopaths gotta live a little, right?), but skip the seconds.
- Limit alcoholic beverages to 1 or 2 drinks.
- Sweet potatoes are a better source of fiber and phytonutrients than white potatoes. Just skip the marshmallows and enjoy what nature provided!
- Ditch the white dinner rolls in favor of whole grains (100% whole wheat bread, wild rice, quinoa, etc.).